Your Rights & Obligations - Healthy Homes NZ

Your rights & obligations

With over 20,000 jobs completed, our team has come across almost every situation you can think of. Check out some of the most common queries we get regarding your rights and obligations.

I'm looking for
Shop Fixtures & Appliances
Healthy Homes Assessment
Annual Property Compliance
Property Maintenance
Meth Testing
Asbestos Testing
Mould Testing

Your rights & obligations

It’s important you stay abreast of the statutory requirements as a property manager. It is equally as important as a tenant to be aware of your own obligations and rights in this space.

This page covers the most common questions we are faced with from both the property management and tenancy perspective.

You can toggle by tenant / property manager to find the most appropriate answer.

  • As a property manager/landlord
  • As a tenant

Can the assessor pick up keys for the property? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

Absolutely, our assessors are happy to collect keys and you’ll be sent a notification with an estimated pick up time, as well as a reminder the day before. You’ll also get a notification when the keys are returned.

Why does my existing heat pump not pass the heating standard? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

The heating standard requires our assessors to complete a very specific heating calculation which was set in the Healthy Home regulations. This calculation does not always align with what has previously been used as a calculation for heating professionals and unfortunately means there are situations where the existing heating does not meet the Heating Standard. There are allowances for ‘top up’ heaters if your heating is within 1.5kW of the required amount and this will be stated on your report if it is an option. Our team will be able to talk you through these options if they are applicable in your situation.

What is the acceptable level of meth in a property? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

The release of the meth testing and decontamination standard (NZS8510:2017), with assistance from the Ministry of Health in 2017, set a safe level at 1.5μg/100cm² per high use areas (these are areas frequently used in a property) and 3.8μg/100cm² per low use areas (eg: attic and crawl spaces).

However, in June 2018, a report  undertaken by the Office of the Prime Minister’s Chief Science Advisor (the Gluckman Report) stated a level of 15μg/100cm² should be adopted as the new level at which decontamination is required.

The Tenancy Tribunal have also begun ruling a level below 15μg/100cm² is habitable, providing the testing occurred after the release of the Gluckman Report. If the property tested is a rental property, we suggest you contact Tenancy Services on 0800 836 262 to confirm their current stance on the acceptable level.

Currently many insurance companies are continuing to use the NZS8510:2017 level of 1.5μg/100cm² to decide on claims. We suggest you contact your insurance company to confirm their recommended next steps. The Ministry of Health has also continued to support a level of 1.5μg/100cm².

A final consolidated answer to a nationally accepted safe level is pending. The local authority (the relevant local council) is the organisation responsible for deciding what level is deemed acceptable in each region in regards to whether cleansing orders are issued on properties. If this is of concern to you, we recommend you
call your local council and request to speak with the person responsible for health enforcement.

As the NZS8510:2017 standard remains the best practice guide for meth testing, Healthy Homes New Zealand’s documentation must continue to be based on the level of 1.5μg/100cm² stated in this Standard.

Can you provide quotes for work that needs to be done to meet the Healthy Home Standards? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

Absolutely. If we conduct a Healthy Home Assessment for you we will automatically provide you with quotes for remedying any issues found. Or, if you’ve had an assessment done elsewhere then just send a copy through to and our team will happily give you a free, no obligation quote for what is needed.

Do you provide a Healthy Homes Compliance Certificate Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

Absolutely. Our system will automatically populate the Tenancy Services Compliance Certificate for you. All you’ll need to do is sign the document before including it with your next tenancy agreement.

If I have my portfolio of properties with you, how difficult is it to keep track of job progress? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

Not difficult at all. As a client of Healthy Homes New Zealand you’ll have access to our Client Portal where you can view a live feed of job progress. The portal will assist you with keeping on top of all your compliance requirements, with notifications of properties that may be due for smoke alarm servicing, and quotes that may be expiring for work required to meet the Healthy Homes Standards. You’ll also have the ability to update your property file if you have work completed by a third party, print compliance statements, request work and chat directly with our team.

I need to record all the compliance information in Palace, can you help? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

Yes! Our system links directly into Palace meaning no double handling. As soon as we issue a report, the data will not only show in your report but also directly in your Palace system. To set up this integration, email and our team will be able to assist.

I know I need to be aware of asbestos but what do I actually need to do? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

Under the Health and Safety at Work Act (HSWA) as a property manager you are also a PCBU (Person Conducting a Business or Undertaking) and will have a duty of care, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure the health and safety of everybody involved with or affected by work on the property that you are responsible for.

If you are a residential landlord, you are also a PCBU under the law. Under HSWA landlords must ensure that when work is carried out at their property, it is done safely and without endangering workers or others, including tenants. Landlords must identify asbestos in the workplace and document plans for managing its risks in an asbestos management plan if there is a risk of exposure to respirable asbestos fibres.

There must be a plan in place to manage ongoing potential wear and tear to any asbestos materials.

  • Property managers or landlords with numerous properties may find it easier having Asbestos Management Plans (AMP) completed to keep track of asbestos at properties
  • An AMP sets out where any identified asbestos is, how it will be managed and once asbestos has been removed the plan will get updated to reflect this
  • An AMP will be beneficial when maintenance or refurbishment work needs to be completed on many properties
  • Since the Healthy Homes standards came into effect many properties have had
    to have appliances installed or upgrades made which can involve working with
    asbestos. An AMP will document management in these situations.
  • An AMP also aids in managing risks in situations where tenants could be exposed to respirable asbestos fibres

What am I going to have to do if we do find asbestos in my property? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

  • If the building material is in good condition with little damage (broken or exposed edges) then it can be regularly checked up on to make sure no new damage has occurred. If there are any broken or exposed edges, they should be painted or encapsulated by a product that will soak through the asbestos containing material and harden. This will stop the release of any loose asbestos fibres.
  • A competent asbestos surveyor can come to have a look at the asbestos containing building material(s) and create an asbestos management plan.
  • If the asbestos containing building material(s) are highly damaged, the best course of action may be to get it all removed and replaced with a building material that does not contain asbestos.

Can I get my landlord to do a healthy homes assessment or do I have to pay for it? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

There is no legal requirement for a Healthy Home Assessment to be completed, but all properties do have to comply with the Healthy Home regulations within 90 days of any new or renewed tenancy from 1 July 2021 (with all properties having to comply by 1 July 2024 if there are no tenancy changes). If you’re concerned about your property, we’d suggest discussing the issues directly with your landlord or property manager first. If you do want to have an assessment undertaken yourself you are within your rights to do so, but would have to pay for that yourself.


Do I have to be home when an assessment is taking place? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

You are more than welcome to be present while our team are onsite but you do not have to be. Our team are happy to pick up keys from your property manager or a pre-arranged location. Our team are all fully police vetted and background checked as well.

What does the assessor need access to? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

This depends on what they’re assessing. You can typically expect the assessor to need access to every room of the property for our services. If it’s a Healthy Home assessment, they’ll also need to access the underfloor area of the property and the ceiling cavity (if the property has these) so we appreciate it if you can arrange to have any possessions that may be blocking access to these spaces cleared away. (Quite often, the ceiling cavity access will be in a wardrobe or cupboard so our team will need this cleared to safely access the space).

Are your assessors vaccinated? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

Yes, our entire team is fully vaccinated against Covid 19 and follow strict hygiene practices.

What does a Healthy Home Assessment cover? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

Our assessors will begin outside, looking at the gutters and drains surrounding the house and checking for moisture and insulation under the floor. They will then enter the house and check the ceiling insulation before conducting a heating calculation to assess the heating needs of the property, check the extraction fans and rangehoods in the bathroom and kitchen and assess all the windows and doors for draughts.

I'm worried there's meth in my house, what can I do? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

We’d suggest you begin by speaking with your landlord or property manager to find out about the history of the property and if a meth test was done before you moved in. If it hasn’t been, your landlord may organise one for you. If the landlord won’t, you can choose to pay for one yourself if you want to. Should the testing find methamphetamine levels that are deemed to make the property uninhabitable then your landlord or property manager would need to address this.

I think my house has asbestos in it, should I be worried? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

Asbestos is only a concern if the building material is in bad condition or is being disturbed by building works or maintenance. If you have a concern then you should raise this with your property manager or landlord; they may already have an asbestos management plan in place.

Is it ok for my children to be present during an assessment? Icon- plus-normal Icon- minus-normal

There is no problem with your children being present if you are also home, however our assessors will not enter a home where a child under the age of 16 is home alone.

Do you have questions?
Don’t wait. Let’s talk.


Auckland | Headquarters

PO Box 20110, Glen Eden, Auckland

0800 34 34 33

Service Available In


Send a message to us.
We’ll get back to you ASAP.

"*" indicates required fields